We first published this article 7 years ago but the same still applies today – maybe even more so in today’s challenging environment. It’s always good to take a step back and check if “Change” is needed.
Insanity In Business – Doing The Same Thing Expecting A Different Outcome
Change in any business is a scary thing. There are fears of the unknown, potential uncertain outcomes, will it work. What if it doesn’t? Change Management and the Management of Change a leap into the unknown. The only thing you do know is, what you have done in your business up to now has you where you are, if that’s a good place then great. If not, then something has to change. It’s not up to the economy, it’s not about your competitors, it’s up to you.
That’s Ok. What’s not Ok is hoping that if you continue to do the same things that your business will somehow magically change and end up somewhere better. That’s Insanity.
So what do you do?
Well the very first thing you must do is make the decision to change how you do what you do. It is the making of the decision to change that makes the difference.
Start small – “Rome Wasn’t Built In a Day”
The steps are:
- Figure out what you want to change – Sales, Cash, Stock, Production….
- Map out what you are doing now – your existing process
- Map what you want to do – that process of where you want to get to (If you’re no good at this stuff then GET HELP)
- Involve your employees at each stage
- Engage them in solving the problem
- Roll out the new process
- Put some measurement, metric, KPI in place
- Review the measurement regularly, daily, weekly, monthly – whatever makes sense
- If you are on track great! If not change, adjust the process
The constant reviewing of metrics, and minor adjustments when needed is what drives great businesses forward, and leaves the others behind.
If you are pulling your hair out then make the commitment to change something. If you embrace change management as part of your business you’ll be amazed with the results. If you don’t, you’ll drive yourself crazy.
We are always ready for a coffee and a chat (virtual if needed). Call us on the number below or complete the form.